This troubled 1970s estate is being transformed into a network of new streets and squares knitted into the surrounding urban fabric and fronting on to the Regent’s Canal. The neighbourhood will contain around 800 new homes, community and youth centres, shops and business units. The first phases are occupied and all will be complete in 2017. PTE’s masterplan helped win community support and was the basis of the outline planning permission and delivery strategy.
PTE has provided a full service on all phases.
“The Packington Estate is a shining example of how we can all work together to get everything right, from resident involvement through to building design. In an ever changing city, like London, it’s crucial that we continue to work in partnership to provide much needed, high quality housing.”
David Lunts, Executive Director of Housing and Land, Greater London Authority
"Packington is a great example of ‘visible mending’ of the urban fabric: new streets and squares are knitted together with their surroundings, and the original residents, who steered the design, have moved into new homes as part of an integrated and mixed community."
Andrew Beharrell, Senior Partner, PTE
“The Packington Estate is being transformed from isolated blocks of intimidating and soulless housing into a living community with real heart and purpose. I never in my life thought I would get a home as spacious as this and it is by far the best of its type in London, it really feels like a palace!”
Mrs. Yurukogullari, Resident
“Packington demonstrates how resident-led consultation is driving the regeneration of this part of Islington into a thriving community of high quality new homes and facilities, as well as providing economic and training opportunities for local people. We are proud to continue this long-standing partnership with Hyde and our delivery partners.”
Mark Mitchener, Managing Director, Rydon Construction
- Housing Innovation Awards - Most innovative regeneration scheme 2017 — Winner
- London Planning Award 2013 — Commendation
- National Housing Award 2013 — Winner
- Housing Innovation Award 2013 — Winner
- Evening Standard new Homes Award 2012 — Winner
- Islington Society Architecture and Conservation Award 2012 — Winner
- What House Award 2012 — Gold
- Daily Telegraph British Homes Award 2011 — Winner
- National Housing Awards - Best Regeneration 2019 — Winner
- National Housing Awards - Best Partnership 2019 — High Commendation